As COVID-19 has spread into a global pandemic, many of us have turned to sewing to keep things feeling as “normal” and familiar as possible. If you’ve been following us on the Shannon Fabrics Facebook page, you’ve likely tuned in to watch our National Educator sew some fun new projects in real time every Tuesday as we try to give at-home sewists something to look forward to and keep busy with.
This week, continuing Sew Together Tuesday with another must-watch mini-series, Teresa shares her tips and tricks for creating the cutest stuffed animal elephant. We can’t think of anything that would make self-quarantine more enjoyable!
Affectionately named “Ellie Elephant”, this sew-at-home elephant stuffy was designed by our friends over at Funky Friends Factory. The pattern can be found for “instant download” here, and it looks (and feels) great sewn with Cuddle® and Luxe Cuddle® in classic elephant hues, or even louder, more colorful designs as Teresa has done below.
Sample (above) sewn with Luxe Cuddle® Sorbet Mystic, Cuddle® 3 Jewel, Cuddle® 3 Snow White
What you’ll need to sew an elephant stuffed animal
Here is what Teresa recommends for sewing Ellie Elephant:
Most important supplies:
- Ellie Elephant pattern from Funky Friends Factory
- ½ yard Luxe Cuddle® (Hide, Heather, Marble, Sorbet, Rose recommended)
- 10” x 10” scrap of Cuddle® 3 for ears (cotton Fat Quarter can be used instead)
- 5” x 8” scrap of Cuddle® 3 Snow or White for tusks (cotton scrap can be used instead)
- Two 12mm safety eyes
- Stuffing (Fairfield Royal Silk recommended)
- Sewing machine (with walking foot recommended)
Notions for tracing and cutting:
- Small, micro-serrated scissors (Famore recommended)
- Felt tip marker
- Pattern enlarged to 120%
Notions for sewing:
- 90/14 Stretch needle (SCHMETZ recommended)
- Medium grey polyester thread (Mettler or Superior Threads recommended)
- ByAnnie Stiletto
- Press Perfect Stiletto (Clover)
- Walking foot
- Long flower head pins (Clover recommended)
VIDEO: How to Sew an Elephant Stuffed Animal
Here our National Educator goes step-by-step on how to sew an elephant stuffy with our popular Luxe Cuddle® and Cuddle® minky plush fabrics:
Part 1: How to Sew an Elephant Stuffed Animal
Part 2: How to Sew an Elephant Stuffed Animal
Part 3: How to Sew an Elephant Stuffed Animal
Part 4: How to Sew an Elephant Stuffed Animal
Join us for Part 4 on the Shannon Fabrics Facebook page at 10 am PDT on April 16.