Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!
This week’s episode of Sew Together Tuesday revisits one of our most festive, ever! Previously our National Educator Teresa Coates shared her tips on how to sew an adorable snowman pillow using Cuddle® and Luxe Cuddle® minky plush fabrics.
This time she'll be broadcasting live from Green's Sewing & Vacuum in Medford, OR to share how to applique the snowman's face with an embroidery machine (and the integrated software) to create an embroidery design that makes applique extra easy, instead of the traditional/raw edge applique technique we featured before.
We'll also be joined by Vickie Kiser — she's an educator at the shop and an expert in all things embroidery (you might know her from her YouTube video series, How Vickie Does It).
See Related: How to Sew a Cuddle® Minky Fabric Tree Skirt
The pillow finishes approximately 14 inches in diameter, and the applique face can be customized however you see fit! To start, download our free Snowman Pillow sewing pattern, gather your fabrics and join us for this cozy episode of Sew Together Tuesday!
Recommended Fabrics and Notions for Sewing a Snowman Pillow
These products and fabrics can be substituted for whatever works best for you, but here is what Teresa recommends for sewing a snowman pillow with Cuddle® minky fabric:
- 5/8 yard Luxe Cuddle® Seal Snow (for Pillow)
- 5" x 10" Solid Cuddle® 3 Pumpkin (for Carrot Nose)
- 10" x 10" Solid Cuddle® 3 Black (for Eyes & Charcoal Bits)
- 2" x 3" Solid Cuddle® 3 White (for Eyes)
- 90/14 stretch machine needle —SCHMETZ
- Basting spray — ODIF 505 Spray
- Batting, 2 (18" x 18") squares —Fairfield World
- Craft knife — OLFA
- Fabric clips — Clover
- Felt tip marker or ballpoint pen
- Long, flower head pins — Clover
- Micro-serrated scissors — Karen Kay Buckley, Famore or Kai
- Point turner — Clover
- Polyester filling for stuffing, or a 16" circular pillow form — Fairfield World
- Polyester thread —Metrosene by Mettler
- Rotary cutter and mat —OLFA
- Walking foot
- Water soluble stabilizer, optional — SULKY
- Woven fusible interfacing, optional — Pellon SF101
Tips for Sewing a Snowman Pillow
- Trace pieces onto interfacing and iron onto Cuddle® 3 before cutting to add stability to the fabric and make it easier to trace the lines.
- Press from the reverse with an iron set on polyester or synthetic setting.
- Appliqué can be straight stitch, zig zag or blanket stitch—it’s up to you.
- Use a water-soluble stabilizer after spray basting in position. Tape it in place and use your stiletto to keep it from getting it caught up in the stitches.
- Add a fun little top hat to your snowman using our free pattern handout.
Video: How to Sew a Snowman Pillow
Mark your calendar — for the next episode of Season 10 of Sew Together Tuesday, Teresa will be going LIVE on the Shannon Fabrics Facebook page and YouTube channel at 10 am PDT on November 29 to share her tips on how to sew our Snowman Pillow out of Cuddle® minky plush fabrics.
Can't make it? Check back here after her live video concludes for the embedded on-demand video.
Teresa's previous episode can be found, here:
Free Download: How to Sew a Snowman Pillow
Click here or the “Download Now!” button below to download and print Teresa’s free Snowman Pillow sewing pattern. And, for an added bonus, click here to download her exclusive Snowman Hat pattern!
Ready to start creating with Cuddle® minky fabric? Use our store locator to find a selection of Cuddle® minky fabric online or near you.