With Christmas fast approaching, this week’s Sew Together Tuesday video tutorial is embracing the spirit of the season!
Shannon Fabrics National Educator Teresa Coates will be featuring one of our newest free patterns — our Christmas tree skirt — and sharing all her tips and tricks while sewing this festive project from start to finish.
A beautiful Christmas tree skirt is the perfect finishing touch for every glittering evergreen. The skirt is reversible, so you can pick both a pretty print and a rich solid to complement your holiday décor. Also, the approximate finished size is 42 inches in diameter, but it can be scaled up or down depending on the size of your tree.
Recommended Fabrics and Notions for Making a Cuddle® Tree Skirt
These products and fabrics can be substituted for whatever works best for you, but here is what Teresa recommends for sewing a Cuddle® tree skirt:
- 1 3/4 yds. Luxe Cuddle® (Teresa is using Luxe Cuddle® Marble Scarlet)
- 1 3/4 yds. Cuddle® print (Teresa is using Snowfall Digital Cuddle® Scarlet)
- 2 yds. decorative ribbon
- 45mm rotary cutter — OLFA
- 90/14 Stretch Needle — SCHMETZ
- 6” x 24” acrylic ruler
- Christmas Tree Skirt Pattern
- Craft Knife — OLFA
- Fabric clips — (Wonder Clips - Clover)
- Felt tip marker
- Flower head pins — Clover
- Micro serrated scissors — Famore, Kai or Karen Kay Buckley
- Polyester thread — (Metrosene - Mettler)
- Point Turner — Clover
- Self-healing cutting mat — OLFA
- Stiletto and pressing tool — ByAnnie
- Walking foot
Tips for Sewing a Cuddle® Minky Fabric Tree Skirt
- Choose a Luxe Cuddle® without definable designs, such as Luxe Cuddle® Marble, Galaxy, Seal or Sparkle Cuddle® Glitter.
- Mix and match your favorite Christmas Cuddle® print for a reversible tree skirt.
- Add embroidery or applique to panels before sewing them together.
- Save your scraps and use for coordinating decorations!
Video: How to Make a Cuddle® Tree Skirt
Mark your calendar — for the next episode of Season 7 of Sew Together Tuesday, Teresa will be going LIVE on the Shannon Fabrics Facebook page and YouTube channel at 10 am PDT on November 16 to share her tips on how to sew a festive Cuddle® tree skirt.
Can't make it? Check back here after her live video concludes for the embedded on-demand video.
Free Download: How to Make a Cuddle® Tree Skirt
Click here or the “Download Now!” button below to download and print Teresa’s free Cuddle® tree skirt pattern.
Ready to start creating with Cuddle® minky fabric? Use our store locator to find a selection of Cuddle® minky fabric online or near you.