If you thought our luxurious Cuddle® fabric was just for throw blankets and infinity scarves, think again!
This week’s Sew Together Tuesday is one you don’t want to miss — our National Educator Teresa Coates shares her tips on how to sew a super (and we mean super) comfy pair of slippers out of Cuddle® and Luxe Cuddle® minky plush fabric.
See Related: How to Sew a Sleep Mask (with Pattern and Video Tutorial)
Don’t be intimidated, this is one sewing project even novice sewists can complete in just a few hours, and they’re easy to customize to match your favorite pair of pajamas! Teresa used the Sleeper Slippers pattern (get the PDF Downloadable version here) from our friends at McKay Manor Musers, and she altered the design slightly to work more seamlessly with minky fabric.
Here we’ve outlined Teresa’s suggested notions and fabrics, her tips for sewing a pair of minky fabric slippers, and of course, the video tutorial.
Here we go!
Suggested Notions and Fabrics to Sew a Pair of Slippers
These products can be substituted for whatever you have on hand, but here is what Teresa recommends for her minky fabric slippers sewing tutorial.
- ½ yd outer fabric (Luxe Cuddle® suggested)
- ½ yd. inner fabric (Cuddle® 3 suggested)
- ½ yd. Slipper Gripper for sole
- ½ yd. cotton batting or ByAnnie's Soft And Stable® (optional)
- Sleeper Slippers pattern
- Polyester thread
- 90/14 Stretch needle
- Tracing paper/interfacing (optional)
- Flower head pins
- Small blade scissors
Tips for Sewing a Pair of Slippers
- For easiest construction, use a Cuddle® 3 or a Luxe Cuddle® such as Chenille, Weave, Brooklyn for the outer slipper.
- For the lining, use a Cuddle® 3 for the sides (the U-shapped piece).
- For the sole lining, you can do all sorts of things: use a Cuddle® 3 by itself, quilt Cuddle® 3 to Soft And Stable® or batting, use Luxe Cuddle® Sherpa or Luxe Cuddle® Llama.
- If wanted, you can add embroidery detail to the front toe of slipper prior to cutting or add a ribbon after sewing.
Video: How to Sew a Pair of Slippers
Mark your calendar — as part of Sew Together Tuesday, Teresa will be going LIVE on the Shannon Fabrics Facebook page at 10 am PT on December 15 to share her tips on how to sew a pair of slippers in Cuddle® minky fabric.
If you have any questions about Cuddle® minky plush fabrics or any of our Cuddle® Kits, feel free to contact our friendly, no-pressure customer service team at 866-624-5252.
Ready to start creating with Cuddle® minky fabric? Use our store locator to find a selection of Cuddle® minky fabric online or near you.