How to Sew a Sleep Mask (with Pattern and Video Tutorial)
With many of us cooped us inside practicing social distancing, sewing has been the one constant in all of our lives. Fortunately, it's one of those do-at-home hobbies that is a great way to keep busy regardless of your level of expertise!
If you're new here, welcome! This "How to Sew a Sleep Mask" sewing tutorial is part of our weekly Sew Together Tuesday series hosted by our National Educator Teresa Coates. Each week she walks our viewers through a sewing project from start to finish, and past tutorials have included stuffed animals, throw blankets and more.
This week, Teresa shares her tips and tricks on how to sew a sleep mask. She's also included her recommended notions, supplies and fabrics, as well as a free downloadable pattern (see below).
Ready to count some sheep? Let's begin!
What you’ll need to sew a sleep mask
Here are the fabrics, notions and supplies Teresa recommends for sewing a sleep mask:
- ¼ yard Cuddle® or Luxe Cuddle® fabric
- Matching polyester thread (we recommend Mettler or Superior Threads)
- Size 90/14 stretch needle (we recommend SCHMETZ)
- 4” x 8” scrap of Cuddle® 3 Black, optional
- Embroidery design of choice, optional
- 18” length of ½” wide elastic, optional
- 2” length of ½” wide Velcro® (or any brand hook and loop tape), optional
- Hand sewing needle
- Sleep mask pattern (download below)
How to sew a sleep mask
Here our National Educator Teresa Coates shares her step-by-step tips on how to sew a sleep mask with Cuddle® or Luxe Cuddle® fabric.
- Embroider or applique as desired, optional.
- Using the mask pattern, cut out one of each fabric (two if using the same fabric for both sides). Transfer all markings.
- Cut a strap: one 1 ½” x 14-16” piece of Cuddle®, width-wise OR a 14-16" piece of ½” wide elastic (cut to fit) OR 4” and 14” lengths of ½” wide elastic.
- Cuddle® strap: fold in thirds lengthwise, overlapping at center back, and zig zag in place.
Single elastic strap: no additional steps
Two elastic straps: sew 2” length of Velcro to end of each elastic cut, loop (soft) part on the longer strap
- Use markings at sides of one mask piece to place straps and pin in place. Baste in place.
- Pin mask pieces, right sides together, leaving the area marked for the gap open. Make sure strap(s) are tucked inside.
- Sew around mask with a ¼” seam allowance, leaving a gap.
- Turn inside out and hand sew gap closed.
- Catch some “Zzzs”!
Free Sleep Mask Sewing Pattern
Click the download button below (or click here) to download Teresa's free sleep mask sewing pattern:
Ready to start sewing? Use our store locator to find a selection of Cuddle® minky fabric online or near you.