Season 9 of Sew Together Tuesday rolls on! Last week our National Educator Teresa Coates shared her tips about how to use embroidery to monogram a throw (learn more, here), and this week she’s sharing a variation by appliquéing Luxe Cuddle® to create a throw for your favorite college student, sports fan, teen or anyone else.
These techniques work for a variety of larger appliqué designs — add a name, a silhouette or your own design. For more information, our “Embroidery and Applique Tips for Cuddle® Minky Plush Fabric” article is a great place to start!
Class is in session, happy sewing!
Recommended fabrics and notions for appliquéing a throw
These products can be substituted for whatever you have on hand, but here is what Teresa recommends for her appliqué Luxe Throw tutorial:
- 2 yds. Luxe Cuddle® Demi Rose Eggplant
- 1/2 yd. Cuddle® 3 Gold
- 1/2 yd. Cuddle® 3 Snow
- Luxe Throw
- Your choice of design (I’m using the James Madison University logo)
- 505 basting spray — ODIF
- 90/14 stretch machine needle — SCHMETZ
- Craft knife — OLFA
- Fabric clips — Clover
- Felt tip marker or ballpoint pen
- Long, flower head pins — Clover
- Luxe Throw pattern — Shannon Fabrics
- Micro-serrated scissors — Karen Kay Buckley, Famore or Kai
- Polyester thread — Metrosene by Mettler
- Rotary cutter and mat —OLFA
- Stiletto and Pressing Tool — ByAnnie
- Walking foot
- Wash-away stabilizer or woven fusible interfacing
- Water-soluble stabilizer
Video: How to applique a throw
Mark your calendar — for the next episode of Season 9 of Sew Together Tuesday, Teresa will be going LIVE on the Shannon Fabrics Facebook page and YouTube channel at 10 am PDT on May 3 to share her tips on how to applique a Luxe Throw out of Cuddle® minky plush fabric.
Can't make it? Check back here after her live video concludes for the embedded on-demand video.
Ready to start creating with Cuddle® minky fabric? Use our store locator to find a selection of Cuddle® minky fabric online or near you.