Bee Pillow - Urban Threads. Elephant blanket - Anita Goodesign. Count blanket - Anita Goodesign.
While we’re obviously big fans of throw blankets and scarves, our collection of Luxe Cuddle® and Cuddle® minky plush fabrics can be used to make so much more!
See Related: How to Sew and Embroider a Lined Minky Fabric Zipper Bag (Zipper Bag Video Tutorial)
This week, as part of our Sew Together Tuesday educational video series (and since it's National Embroidery Month), our National Educator Teresa Coates continues sharing her tips and tricks for working with Cuddle®. After our minky fabric zipper bag tutorial with Sheila Ryan of Designs by Babymoon, Teresa was inspired to dive into learning more about embroidery and applique. She's bringing Sheila back, and introducing Mike Johns from Baby Lock, to talk shop and show her embroidered birdhouse from Anita Goodesign's "Spring 1, 2, 3" collection.
See Related: How to Sew a Holiday Bench Pillow Cover (Whimsy Winter Bench Pillow Tutorial)
This one isn’t so much project based, as it is giving you the tools to embroider and applique with Cuddle® minky plush fabric (download our tip sheet here). Don’t worry — with the right techniques, it’s not as hard as it looks (and it’s a whole lotta’ fun)!
Applique Tips for Cuddle® Minky Plush Fabric
Here Teresa lists some of her applique tips for Cuddle® minky plush fabric.
- Use a tear away stabilizer or thin batting behind your applique to give it stability and reduce any puckering.
- A blanket stitch works great with a Cuddle® 3 applique and a zigzag works best with Luxe Cuddle®.
- Experiment on scraps to see what stitches and sizes you prefer.
- Use basting spray to keep a Cuddle® applique in place on Cuddle®. If you are appliqueing onto cotton, you can use a double-sided fusible web such as Appliweb Plus or SoftFuse. Pin in a few places to make sure it doesn’t shift.
- Use your die cutter to create easy appliques. AccuQuilt has a variety of dies that include embroidery downloads to make it extra easy.
Embroidery Tips for Cuddle® Minky Plush Fabric
Here Teresa lists some of her embroidery tips for Cuddle® minky plush fabric. Download our tip sheet here.
- Choose the right stabilizers — Cuddle® does best with a cutaway stabilizer for the bottom and a water-soluble stabilizer for the top.
- Using a topper (water-soluble stabilizer) will help keep the Cuddle® fibers in place while embroidering, which results in a nicer finish.
- Pick designs with bold motifs and avoid delicate details for best results.
- Use a ballpoint needle for your embroidery machine, too. It allows the fibers to be pushed aside rather than cutting through them so it doesn’t damage the fabric.
- Try using basting spray to keep your Cuddle® on the stabilizer rather than hooping. Sometimes the hoops will leave marks.
- Designs by Babymoon, Anita Goodesign, Urban Threads and Kimberbell Designs are four great resources for embroidery designs.
Video Tutorial: Embroidery and Applique Tips for Cuddle® Minky Plush Fabric
Mark your calendars — as part of Sew Together Tuesday, Teresa will be going LIVE on the Shannon Fabrics Facebook page and YouTube channel at 10 am PDT on February 16 to share her embroidery and applique tips for Cuddle® minky plush fabric.
Can't make it? Check back here at 12 pm pacific after her live video concludes for the embedded on-demand video.
Download: Embroidery Tips for Cuddle® Minky Plush Fabric
Click here or the “Download Now!” button below to download Teresa’s free Sew Together Tuesday "Embroidery Tips for Cuddle® Minky Plush Fabric" printable tip sheet.
If you have any questions about our fabrics or any of our Cuddle® Kits, feel free to contact our friendly, no-pressure customer service team at 866-624-5252.
Ready to start sewing? Use our store locator to find a selection of our fabrics online or near you.
Leave a Comment