This week’s Sew Together Tuesday video is truly a special one! First, not only are we tackling how to machine embroider on Cuddle® minky fabric for the first time, but we also have one of our Brand Ambassadors joining us as special guest!
Coming from a legacy of talented seamstresses, Sheila Ryan has been stitching almost her entire life. She creates digital embroidery designs and teaches machine embroidery and sewing lessons online and in her local community.
See Related: How to Sew a Blanket Out of Minky Fabric
She joins our National Educator Teresa Coates to teach how to sew and machine embroider a super cute and colorful lined minky fabric zipper bag. This “Time to Shine Bag” can be made in your 5x7 and 6x10 hoops, and works beautifully with Cuddle® 3.
Like many of us, sewing is an integral part of Sheila’s life, and color, texture and excellent design are just a few of the things that make her really happy and inspire her work!
Fabrics, notions and supplies you’ll need to sew and embroider a lined zipper bag
These products can be substituted for whatever you have on hand, but here is what Teresa recommends for her sewing and embroidering zipper bag tutorial:
- Download the Time to Shine Bag digital files (this costs $6.99)
- Embroidery machine with 6” x 10” or larger hoop
- Cutaway stabilizer
- 12”+ all-purpose zipper
- ¼ yd Cuddle® 3, cut into two 6” x 11” pieces (6” tall and 11” wide)
- Pieces of cotton the same size as the Cuddle® for the lining
- Coordinating polyester thread
- Masking tape or clear tape (make sure it works with your stabilizer)
- Small Accent Tassel and 12mm split ring for zipper pull
- 3” piece of fold-over elastic for tab
- D-ring or split keyring for tab
Keep these tips in mind when sewing and embroidering a lined minky fabric zipper bag
- Use good medium-weight cutaway or tearaway embroidery stabilizer
- If you can, raise the presser foot of your embroidery machine to accommodate for the thickness
- Choose “In the Hoop” projects so that there are no exposed raw edges OR make sure that applique designs have a 3.5 mm or greater border
- Pay attention to the nap of the fabric
- Use 505® Spray to keep the Cuddle® adhered to the stabilizer so it doesn't shift
- If you use water soluble stabilizer, avoid using water to remove the WSS — just pick it out with your stiletto or the pointy part of your seam ripper
- Avoid sewing over any additional tape you use — remove it after each step
Video tutorial: How to sew and embroider a lined minky fabric zipper bag
Mark your calendars — as part of Sew Together Tuesday, Teresa and Sheila will be going LIVE on the Shannon Fabrics Facebook page at 10 am PDT on August 11 to share her tips on how to sew and embroider a lined minky fabric zipper bag.
See the entire minky fabric zipper bag video here:
If you have any questions about our fabrics or any of our Cuddle® Kits, feel free to contact our friendly, no-pressure customer service team at 866-624-5252.
Ready to start machine embroidering with minky fabric? Use our store locator to find a selection of our fabrics online or near you.
Leave a Comment