We’re wrapping up Season 9 of Sew Together Tuesday with a must-watch episode for quilters!
Our National Educator Teresa Coates will be going LIVE from the Bits ‘N Pieces Quilt Shop floor, where she’ll combine two things near and dear to quilters — Cuddle® and cotton — for this tutorial on how to self-bind a cotton quilt with Cuddle®.
See Related: Longarm Quilting Tips for Cuddle® Minky Fabric
The best part? There’s no hand sewing required, will work on any quilt size and makes your quilt super soft and immediately enjoyable (no break-in period)!
And while our standard 58”/60”-wide fabrics will work just fine for most quilts, we also offer extra-wide fabrics in Cuddle® 3 that are 88”/90” wide and Luxe Cuddle® Mirage that are 78”/80” wide for bigger projects.
Suggested Notions and Fabrics for Using Cuddle® to Self-Bind a Cotton Quilt
These products can be substituted for whatever you have on hand, but here is what Teresa recommends for her self-bound quilt tutorial.
- Cotton, pieced quilt top (or panel)
- Batting larger than finished top (at least 3 inches on all sides) — Quilters Dream recommended
- Cuddle® backing larger than finished top (at least six inches on all sides)
- 90/14 Stretch needle — SCHMETZ
- Basting spray — ODIF 505
- Craft knife — OLFA
- Felt tip marker or ballpoint pen
- Long, flower head pins — Clover
- Micro-serrated scissors — Kai, Famore or Karen Kay Buckley
- Polyester thread — Mettler
- Rotary cutter and mat — OLFA
- Walking foot
Tips for Using Cuddle® to Self-Bind a Cotton Quilt
Video: How to Sew a Self-Binding Blanket with Cuddle® and Cotton
Mark your calendar — as part of Sew Together Tuesday, Teresa will be going LIVE on the Shannon Fabrics Facebook page at 10 am PT on June 14 to share her tips on how to use Cuddle® to self-bind a cotton quilt.
If you have any questions about Cuddle® minky plush fabrics or any of our Cuddle® Kits, feel free to contact our friendly, no-pressure customer service team at 866-624-5252.
Ready to start creating with Cuddle® minky fabric? Use our store locator to find a selection of Cuddle® minky fabric online or near you.