The month of March includes three of our favorite things: Saint Patrick’s Day, National Quilting Month and the National Reading Month holiday!
While we aren’t celebrating with a corned beef and cabbage tutorial, we are celebrating in the best way we know how — with Cuddle® minky plush fabric!
This week we’re combining our love of books with our fondness for Saint Patrick’s Day by creating a “lucky” reading pillow that features the cutest leprechaun quilt block front — and it has a pocket in the back to hold a book.
The quilt block pattern was designed by Heather Valentine of “The Sewing Loft”, and can be downloaded here. Teresa has opted to convert the large 12” x 12” block (the pattern also includes a 6” x 6” size) into a pillow, for maximum bearded Cuddle® goodness.
This is a great scrap buster project, and if Saint Patrick’s Day colors aren’t your thing, feel free to get creative!
Fabrics and notions you’ll need to sew a Saint Patrick’s Day Reading Pillow
These products can be substituted for whatever you have on hand, but here is what Teresa recommends for a 12" x 12" Saint Patrick’s Day reading pillow:
Buy a ¼ yard of each or use your scraps:
- Cuddle® 3 Evergreen
- Cuddle® 3 Black (Teresa used Luxe Cuddle® Hide Caviar in the sample, but will use Cuddle® 3 in the LIVE)
- Cuddle® 3 Latte
- Cuddle® 3 Natural
- Luxe Cuddle® Galaxy Ginger
- Sparkle Cuddle® Glitter Snow/Multi (Teresa used Cuddle® 3 White in the sample)
Buy 1/2 yard if making into a pillow:
- Luxe Cuddle® Heather Ivy
- Pellon SF 101 fusible interfacing
- 1-inch buttons for eyes (2), optional
- 16" pillow form, optional
- 45mm rotary cutter - OLFA or blade (SAC-1 - OLFA)
- 90/14 stretch machine needle - SCHMETZ
- Felt tip marker
- Hand sewing needle
- Leprechaun Quilt Block pattern - The Sewing Loft
- Long, flower-head pins - Clover
- Micro serrated scissors - Famore or Kai
- Polyester thread - (Metrosene - Mettler)
- Self-healing cutting mat - OLFA
- Stiletto and pressing tool - ByAnnie
- Walking foot
Tips for sewing a Saint Patrick’s Day Reading Pillow
- Use a medium-heat iron (a polyester setting) to adhere interfacing before cutting out pieces.
- Mark nap direction on the back of your fabric to keep it in the correct orientation.
- Use a 2.5 mm or 3 mm stitch length.
- Don’t be afraid to mix fabrics for a fun effect.
- Use your quilt block to create a pillow or make more to create a fun quilt!
Video tutorial: How to sew a Saint Patrick’s Day Reading Pillow
Mark your calendar — as part of Sew Together Tuesday, Teresa will be going LIVE on the Shannon Fabrics Facebook page and YouTube channel at 10 am PDT on March 9 to share her tips on how to sew a leprechaun-themed Saint Patrick’s Day reading pillow.
Can't make it? Check back here at 12 pm pacific after her live videos concludes for the embedded on-demand videos.
If you have any questions about Cuddle® minky plush fabrics or any of our Cuddle® Kits, feel free to contact our friendly, no-pressure customer service team at 866-624-5252.
Ready to start creating with Cuddle® minky fabric? Use our store locator to find a selection of Cuddle® minky fabric online or near you.