Goodbye summer, autumn is finally here! And if you’re anything like us, you’re excited to welcome in cooler weather and shorter days filled with fall colors, pumpkin spiced-everything, and of course, sewing!
Infinity scarves, robes and throw blankets are always a great place to start for fall-inspired sewing projects, but this week, we’re really embracing the season with a tutorial on how to sew a pumpkin with Cuddle® minky plush fabric.
Teresa has taken the Pumpkin Sewing Pattern by Retro Mama and added her own flair (like usual) by making it with our luxurious Cuddle® minky plush fabrics. They’re great for festive decorative pieces to leave around the house, and the smaller versions can even be used as a pincushion.
As always, feel free to get creative by mixing different colors and textures of both Cuddle® and Luxe Cuddle® fabrics to make unique, one-of-a-kind fall creations!
Fabrics and notions you’ll need to make a pumpkin with Cuddle® minky plush fabric
These products can be substituted for whatever you have on hand, but here is what Teresa recommends for her pumpkin tutorial:
- Cuddle® or Luxe Cuddle® fabrics (1/4 yard of each)
- Stainless Steel Snap-Off Graphics Knife (SAC-1 / Olfa)
- 45mm rotary cutter
- Felt tip marker
- ByAnnie's Stiletto & Pressing Tool
- Stuffing (Royal Silk or Poly-Fil / Fairfield World)
- Long flower-head pins
- Double sided fusible web (Appli-Web Plus / Quilters Select)
- Polyester thread
- 90/14 Stretch needle
- Hand sewing needle
- Pumpkin Sewing Pattern by Retro Mama
Tips for sewing a pumpkin with Cuddle® minky plush fabric
- Choose a Cuddle® 3 for easier construction, but don’t be afraid of using a Luxe Cuddle® to make it extra fun and fluffy.
- Try pinning parallel for the ¼” seams. If you pin perpendicular, make sure to pin often to avoid the layers shifting away from each other.
- Use felt or two layers of Cuddle® 3 for the leaves.
- Use felt or one layer of Cuddle® 3 sewn into a tube for the stem.
- Mix and match the fabrics for a fun, textural display.
Video: How to sew a pumpkin with Cuddle® minky plush fabric
Mark your calendar — as part of Sew Together Tuesday, Teresa will be going LIVE on the Shannon Fabrics Facebook page at 10 am PDT on October 6 to share her tips on how to sew a pumpkin with Cuddle® minky plush fabric.
Ready to start creating with Cuddle® minky fabric? Use our store locator to find a selection of Cuddle® minky fabric online or near you.