We’ve been meaning to do this for a long time, but this week we’re finally tackling a fan-favorite of a sewing project!
A Luxe Cuddle® Minky Fabric Infinity Scarf is arguably the simplest and easiest-to-make sewing project out there — perfect for those new to working with minky fabric or sewing veterans who want a quick and easy scrap buster (makes a great gift, too!).
Here, for Sew Together Tuesday, our National Educator Teresa Coates shares her expert tips on how to sew a Luxe Cuddle® Infinity Scarf. She tackles the standard sizing (approximate finished size is 9" x 17'') but she also shows how to modify the measurements to create a smaller size and a kid-sized alternative as well!
We've included a list of the fabrics and notions you'll need, her Luxe Cuddle® Infinity Scarf tutorial, as well as our free downloadable Luxe Cuddle® Infinity Scarf pattern below — happy sewing!
Fabrics and notions you’ll need to sew a Luxe Cuddle® Infinity Scarf (minky fabric scarf)
These products can be substituted for whatever you have on hand, but here is what Teresa recommends for her Luxe Cuddle® Infinity Scarf (minky fabric scarf) tutorial:
- Luxe Cuddle® Fabric - 1 yard (makes 3 scarves)
Notions & Supplies:
- Clover Flower Head Pins
- Optional: Clover Wonder Clips
- Downloadable Infinity Scarf Sewing Pattern
- Coordinating Polyester Thread (we recommend Mettler Threads or Superior Threads)
- Size 90/14 Stretch Needle (we recommend SCHMETZ Needles)
- OLFA Art Knife (OLFA SAC-1) or OLFA Rotary Cutter
- Dritz Omnigrid Cutting Mat
- Kai Scissors
- Hand Sewing Needle
- Walking Foot (recommended)
Instructions for sewing a Luxe Cuddle® Infinity Scarf (minky fabric scarf)
- Cut a strip of Luxe Cuddle® 18.5” width of fabric x 36” lengthwise from your yardage. You should be able to get 3 scarves from 1 yard of Luxe Cuddle®.
- Place your strip right side up on a flat surface.
- Fold the fabric in half lengthwise, right sides together. Pin well. Extend your stitch length to 3.0-3.5. Using a 3/8" seam allowance, sew along the length of the scarf, being sure to backstitch at the beginning and end. Turn right side out.
- Placing your hand on one end of the scarf, take the other end and flip it one time over, creating a twist in the middle.
- Starting at one end, begin turning your scarf wrong side out, taking care so that the twist in the middle remains.
- Continue turning the scarf wrong side out until the short ends meet. Your seams should be on opposite sides of each other.
- Pin at the seams, right sides together. Match up the rest of the edges and pin. Using a 3/8" seam allowance, sew along the ends of the scarf, leaving a 2" gap for turning. Be sure to backstitch when beginning and ending your seam.
- Gently turn right side out and hand sew the opening with an invisible or slip stitch.
- Wear with a casual outfit or add a brooch for a more classy look!
Video tutorial: How to sew a Luxe Cuddle® Infinity Scarf (minky fabric scarf)
Mark your calendar — as part of Sew Together Tuesday, Teresa will be going LIVE on the Shannon Fabrics Facebook page at 10 am PDT on September 8 to share her tips on how to sew a Luxe Cuddle® Infinity Scarf (minky fabric scarf).
Can't make it? Check back here at 12 pm pacific after her live video concludes for the embedded on-demand video.
Free downloadable Luxe Cuddle® Infinity Scarf sewing pattern (minky fabric scarf)
Our free Luxe Cuddle® Infinity Scarf sewing pattern is live and available to download now! Click here (or the “Download” button below) to download and print out at home!
Ready to start start sewing? Use our store locator to find a selection of our fabrics online or near you.