Zippers are one of those things that sewists sometimes tend to shy away from — but we’re here to tell you that adding a zipper to a sewing project isn’t just a great idea, it’s easy!
See Related: How to Sew a Luxe Cuddle® Minky Fabric Infinity Scarf
This week, our National Educator Teresa Coates continues her weekly Sew Together Tuesday educational video series by taking our popular faux fur, Cuddle® and Luxe Cuddle® minky plush fabrics and, you guessed it, installing a zipper.
These fabrics aren’t what you’d traditionally sew a zipper in, but as Teresa shows, they work great and add a more functional element to your sewing project.
Teresa lists her recommended fabrics and notions below, as well as her expert tips on how to install a zipper in Cuddle® minky fabric and faux fur fabric.
Fabrics and notions you’ll need to sew a zipper in Cuddle® minky fabric and faux fur fabric
These products can be substituted for whatever you have on hand, but here is what Teresa recommends for her zipper tutorial:
- ½ yard of faux fur (sample created with Luxury Shag)
- 18” Feather-fil pillow form (Fairfield)
- Grey polyester thread
- 90/14 Stretch needle
- ByAnnie's Stiletto/Pressing Tool
- Clover pins
- Wonder Clips
- Famore scissors
- Hand sewing needles
- Acrylic ruler (6” x 12” or larger)
- Felt tip marker
- OLFA SAC-1 craft knife
- Blue painter's tape
- Wonder Tape (Dritz)
- Fusible interfacing
Instructions for installing a zipper in Cuddle® minky fabric and faux fur fabric
When putting a zipper in Cuddle® 3 or Luxe Cuddle® minky plush fabric:
- Reinforce the zipper area with a strip of fusible interfacing (such as Pellon SF101).
- Use Wonder Tape (Dritz) to keep zipper in position while you sew.
- Add Wonder Clips (Clover) if needed.
When putting a zipper in Luxe Cuddle® or faux fur:
- Reinforce the zipper area with a strip of fusible interfacing (such as Pellon SF101), if needed.
- Consider using raw edge rather than turning under, and zig zag in position.
- Serge edge, if desired, to flatten nap along raw edge.
- Keep edge of fabric at least 1/8” from zipper teeth for easier opening/closing.
- Some longer Luxe Cuddle® and faux furs may need to be trimmed near the zipper opening.
Video tutorial: How to Sew in a Zipper in Cuddle® Minky Fabric and Faux Fur Fabric
Mark your calendar — as part of Sew Together Tuesday, Teresa will be going LIVE on the Shannon Fabrics Facebook page at 10 am PDT on September 15 to share her tips on how to add a zipper to Luxe Cuddle® or faux fur.
Ready to start creating with Cuddle® minky fabric? Use our store locator to find a selection of Cuddle® minky fabric online or near you.