We’ve made a throw blanket, made a sleep mask and made a pajama set — what’s next? To continue our super-cozy series of Sew Together Tuesday video tutorials, here our National Educator Teresa Coates goes all-in on how to make a fun and betcha-can’t-keep-your-hands-off pillowcase with, you guessed it, Cuddle® minky plush fabric!
It’s one of the easier and quicker projects we’ve tackled so far, and is great for both beginner sewists who are a looking for a more manageable project and more advanced sewists who don’t want to spend all day in the sewing room. They’re great as gifts, or to keep for yourself and add a pop of color to the bedroom.
Scroll to the bottom or click here to download the free pillowcase pattern and get started!
What you’ll need to sew a Cuddle® minky fabric pillowcase
Here are the fabrics, notions and supplies Teresa recommends (and used in her video) for sewing a Cuddle® minky fabric pillowcase. Please note these are just suggestions and can be swapped out for whatever you have at home or whatever your local shop or online retailer has in stock:
- Main fabric- 5/8 yard of Cuddle®
- Cuff fabric - 1/4 yard of Cuddle® and Luxe Cuddle®
- Walking foot (recommended)
- 90/14 stretch needle
- Coordinating thread
- Basic sewing supplies
How to sew a Cuddle® minky fabric pillowcase
- Trim the 5/8 yard of main fabric to 21" x 60"
- Trim the cuff fabric to 9" x 40"
- Fold the main fabric in half rights sides together to make a 21" x 30" rectangle.
- Using a 1/2" seam allowance, sew down the 30" side beginning at the raw edge.
- Trim the pillowcase to the length of the pillow it will be on.
- Sew the short sides of the cuff fabric together using a 1/2" seam allowance.
- Fold in half wrong sides together to match raw edges.
- Place the cuff into pillow case matching all raw edges. Place the cuff seam to one of the side seams. Pin well.
- Sew the cuff to the top of the pillowcase so the seam is to the inside.
- Fold cuff up and topstitch around cuff at the seam.
Free Pillowcase Sewing Pattern
Click the button below to download our free pillowcase sewing pattern!
If you have any questions about Cuddle® minky plush fabrics or any of our Cuddle® Kits, feel free to contact our friendly, no-pressure customer service team at 866-624-5252.
Ready to start sewing? Use our store locator to find a selection of Cuddle® minky fabric online or near you.
Leave a Comment