As with anything in sewing, binding is a skill that requires a bit of both patience and practice! By keeping a few tips and techniques in mind, binding a quilt or blanket is easier than you’d think.
Before we begin, let’s first define what “binding” means. Essentially, traditional binding is when you finish an edge of a quilt or blanket by sewing on trim.
See Related: How to Make a Scrunchie With Cuddle® Minky Plush Fabric
This week, for Sew Together Tuesday, Shannon Fabrics National Educator Teresa Coates goes all-in on binding Cuddle® minky plush fabric quilts and blankets. Not only does she share her expert tips below, but we’ve also included our downloadable tip sheets on how to combine cotton and Cuddle®, as well as how to bind a quilt with Cuddle®.
Binding Techniques for Cuddle® Minky Plush Fabric
- You can use Cuddle® 3 or Luxe Cuddle® for binding, but they work slightly differently. Cuddle® 3 lets you see the stitches, so it’s perfect for a serpentine stitch or other decorative stitch. Luxe Cuddle® hides the stitches, so a zig zag is a good idea.
- When using a serpentine stitch, Teresa prefers 5mm wide and 1.6mm length, so you can start there, but try out a few different lengths to find your preferred look.
- When using a zig zag stitch, Teresa uses a 5mm width and 5mm length, but your machine may not go that wide. Use the widest, up to a 5mm, that your machine will do.
- Sewing the binding takes practice, so be patient with yourself.
- It’s important to cut and sew the binding carefully. We recommend you cut it at 1 ¾”. If you are using a lofty batting, cut it at 2” to give yourself a little extra wiggle room.
- Teresa sews her bindings with a 3/8” seam allowance (for that extra wiggle room) and pays extra attention to staying even and straight.
- Using a stiletto (such as ByAnnie’s Stiletto and Pressing Tool) will help keep the fabric in place while sewing.
- Use the Jumbo Wonder Clips to hold your binding in place while sewing binding to the back of quilt.
- Use regular or Jumbo Wonder Clips when sewing the binding to the front of the quilt.
- Take your time and sew carefully.
- Don’t forget to fluff up the Luxe Cuddle® fibers of the binding to hide your stitches.
- Teresa’s favorite binding fabrics: Luxe Cuddle® Chenille, Luxe Cuddle® Weave and Luxe Cuddle® Marble.
Free Downloadable Binding Tip Sheets for Cuddle® Minky Plush Fabric
To download our free “Binding Your Quilt with Cuddle®” tip sheet, click here. This print-out includes 15 easy steps (and three step-outs) to make binding a quilt as simple as possible. Be sure to watch the accompanying video, “How to Sew Binding With Cuddle® Minky Fabric” below.
Click here to download our free printable “Combining Cuddle® and Cotton” tip sheet. Note this sheet provides more than just binding tips! Scroll down to watch a related video on how to use Cuddle® minky fabric on a cotton quilt.
VIDEO: Binding Techniques for Cuddle® Minky Plush Fabric
Mark your calendar — as part of Sew Together Tuesday, Teresa will be going LIVE on the Shannon Fabrics Facebook page at 10 am PDT on September 29 to share her tips on binding techniques for Cuddle® minky plush fabric.
Basic Binding Techniques for Cuddle® Minky Plush Fabric
How to Use Cuddle® Minky Fabric on a Cotton Quilt
Our National Educator Teresa Coates takes you step-by-step through how to use Cuddle® minky fabric on a cotton quilt. It's one of our most-requested videos!
Minky Plush Fabric Binding Sewing Tips
Our National Educator talks through her tips and tricks on how to sew perfect bindings every time with Cuddle® minky plush fabric. Spoiler alert, it involves a stiletto.
How to Sew Binding With Cuddle® Minky Fabric
Our National Educator Teresa Coates shares how to sew binding on a quilt with Cuddle® and Luxe Cuddle® minky fabric!
If you have any questions about Cuddle® minky plush fabrics or any of our Cuddle® Kits, feel free to contact our friendly, no-pressure customer service team at 866-624-5252.
Ready to start creating with Cuddle® minky fabric? Use our store locator to find a selection of Cuddle® minky fabric online or near you.
Leave a Comment