Our “hooded towel” free pattern has been around for ages, so this week our National Educator Teresa Coates gives it a bit of a refresh LIVE from Quilt Beginnings in Dublin, Ohio!
Measuring in at approximately 30” by 30”, these little towels are great for the beach, pool or bath time. The back and binding is made with Cuddle® minky plush fabric that can be customized depending on your little one’s favorite colors and interests (dinosaurs, anyone?), and it’s finished with our super soft and absorbent Turkish terry cloth for the lining. You can even use a touch of embroidery to personalize your hooded towel for a special gift.
See Related: How to Make a Baby Bib and Swaddle Blanket
Our free hooded towel pattern also includes instructions for a matching “Little Cuddle® Burp Cloth” to complete the set!
Fabrics, notions and supplies you’ll need to make a Cuddle® hooded towel
These products and fabrics can be substituted for whatever you have on hand, but here is what Teresa recommends for her hooded towel tutorial:
Makes two hooded towels and four burp cloths.
- 1 1/2 yard Sonar Cuddle® Snow (for towels and burp cloths)
- 1/3 yard Cuddle® 3 Bluebell (for binding)
- 1 1/2 yard 13 oz. Turkish Terry Cloth White (for linings)
- 45mm rotary cutter - OLFA or blade (SAC-1 - OLFA)
- 90/14 stretch machine needle – SCHMETZ
- Cardstock (to create template)
- Fabric clips - (Wonder Clips - Clover)
- Felt tip marker
- Flower head pins - Clover
- Micro serrated scissors – Famore
- Point turner
- Polyester thread - (Metrosene - Mettler)
- Self-healing cutting mat - OLFA
- Stiletto and pressing tool - ByAnnie
- Walking Foot
Tips for making a Cuddle® hooded towel
- Choose a fun Cuddle® print for the towel backing and a Cuddle® 3 solid that coordinates for the trim.
- Baste the two layers together before cutting out, using ODIF 505 or similar basting spray.
- Use a dinner plate or lid to mark your rounded corners.
- Zig zag layers together before doing the binding to make them flatter and easier to manage.
- Sew with a 1/2” seam allowance and try to maintain it around corners. Trim seam allowance if necessary before binding.
Video: How to make a Cuddle® hooded towel
Mark your calendar — as part of Sew Together Tuesday, Teresa will be going LIVE on the Shannon Fabrics Facebook page and YouTube channel at 10 am PDT on August 10 to share her tips on how to make a Cuddle® hooded towel.
Can't make it? Check back here after her live video concludes for the embedded on-demand video.
Free downloadable Cuddle® hooded towel sewing pattern
Click here or the “Download Now!” button below to download and print our free “hooded towel” sewing pattern (designed by Shannon Fabrics National Educator Teresa Coates).
If you have any questions about Cuddle® minky plush fabrics or any of our Cuddle® Kits, feel free to contact our friendly, no-pressure customer service team at 866-624-5252.
Ready to start creating with Cuddle® minky fabric? Use our store locator to find a selection of Cuddle® minky fabric online or near you.
Leave a Comment