With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, we wanted to make this week extra special!
To celebrate, our National Educator Teresa Coates is hosting a TWO-DAY Sew Together Tuesday sewing project. She’s sewing an absolutely adorable Circles and Squares Quilt (you might know it as a Mock Cathedral Quilt) using the 8” AccuQuilt Circle* die.
See Related: Tuscan Cuddle® Quilt Tutorial (and Free Pattern)
Measuring in at 28” by 33”, it’s a great lap quilt or baby playmat, and would make the perfect gift for someone you love this Valentine’s Day (can be enlarged for a bigger quilt). She’s selected a few purple and magenta Cuddle® fabrics, but it can be customized depending on your taste.
Also, this week we’re giving away FOUR finished 36” x 36” self-binding blankets that feature our NEW Love Me Digital Cuddle® Fuchsia! It’s our little way to say thank you for watching each week and being part of our community of passionate sewists and quilters. To enter, click here or scroll to the bottom of the page!
*Editor's Note: AccuQuilt has generously supplied Shannon Fabrics and Sew Together Tuesday fans a promo code for 15% off your order on Feb. 9 and 10! Use TOGETHER when checking out to save! Some exclusions apply.
Fabrics and notions you’ll need to sew a Circles and Squares (Mock Cathedral) Quilt
These products can be substituted for whatever you have on hand, but here is what Teresa recommends for the Circles and Squares (Mock Cathedral) Quilt:
To make a 28” x 33” Circles and Squares (Mock Cathedral) Quilt, you’ll need:
- 1 pack Cuddle® Sweet Strips OR ¼ yd. each of five different Cuddle® or Luxe Cuddle® fabrics
- 1/3 yd. Cuddle® print
- Circles and Squares Quilt printable handout
- 45mm rotary cutter (OLFA)
- 90/14 Stretch needle (SCHMETZ)
- AccuQuilt 8” Circle die
- AccuQuilt Go! Or Go! Big die cutter
- Basting spray (ODIF 505 Spray Adhesive)
- Felt tip marker
- Flower head pins (Clover)
- Micro serrated scissors (Famore or Kai)
- Polyester thread (Metrosene by Mettler)
- Self-Healing cutting mat (OLFA)
- Stiletto and pressing tool (ByAnnie)
Instructions for sewing a Circles and Squares (Mock Cathedral) Quilt
- Use a Luxe Cuddle® with a nap that goes in different directions (such as Galaxy, Marble, Glacier) to avoid the backing showing.
- Mix circles made from Cuddle® 3 and Luxe Cuddle® for extra texture.
- Choose a fun print with lots of pattern for your squares or use up your scraps for fun variety!
- If you want it extra heavy, add batting to squares. It’s totally optional, though.
- Do the prep work of marking all your squares—it will save time later and make it easier to assemble.
- Use some light cardboard scraps to cover the right sides of the fabric when spray basting.
- Secure edges with a zig zag or serpentine stitch, or put your sewing machine’s fancy stitches to use, if you prefer.
Video tutorial: How to sew a Circles and Squares (Mock Cathedral) Quilt
Mark your calendar — as part of Sew Together Tuesday, Teresa will be going LIVE on the Shannon Fabrics Facebook page and YouTube channel at 10 am PDT on February 9 and 10 to share her tips on how to sew a Circles and Squares (Mock Cathedral) Quilt.
Can't make it? Check back here at 12 pm pacific after her live videos concludes for the embedded on-demand videos.
Circles and Squares (Mock Cathedral) Quilt Day 1:
Circles and Squares (Mock Cathedral) Quilt Day 2:
Valentine's Day Giveaway: Enter to win one of four finished self-binding blankets
Please enter by 11:59 PDT February 14 — we will choose the four random winners on February 15 and announce them on our social media accounts on February 17. Good luck, and don't forget to share with your friends!
This giveaway has concluded.
If you have any questions about Cuddle® minky plush fabrics or any of our Cuddle® Kits, feel free to contact our friendly, no-pressure customer service team at 866-624-5252.
Ready to start creating with Cuddle® minky fabric? Use our store locator to find a selection of Cuddle® minky fabric online or near you.