We all know that reading aloud to babies is important for brain development, but it’s also a wonderful bonding activity! Babies and toddlers love reading time, and they also love the tactile feel of soft books.
This week, we've put together a tutorial on how to sew the cutest Cuddle® minky fabric soft book (we might be just a little biased)! The soft book can be found as part of the Read To Me Cuddle® Kit Barnyard (also comes with Cuddle® fabric for a simple quilt), or can be made separately using our adorable fabric panel, On the Farm Digital Cuddle® Panel Multi.
Each page of the soft book for babies and toddlers features a common farm animal to help little ones not just recognize horses, sheep and chickens, but what sounds they make, too!
See Related: How to Make a Baby Bib and Swaddle Blanket (Free Pattern & Video Sewing Tutorial)
It finishes at approximately 9" by 9" and it even has a convenient carry strap for little hands (if you like this soft book, be sure to check out our Critter Count soft book tutorial).
Fabrics and notions you'll need to make a Cuddle® minky fabric soft book
- 24" long acrylic ruler
- 45mm rotary cutter - OLFA or blade (SAC-1 - OLFA)
- 90/14 stretch machine needle - SCHMETZ
- Crinkle material (optional)
- Fabric clips - (Wonder Clips - Clover)
- Felt tip marker
- Flannel fabric scraps - (optional)
- Flower head pins - Clover
- Hand sewing needle
- Hump jumper / (Jean-A-Ma-Jig - Dritz) bulky seam aid (optional)
- Micro serrated scissors - Famore or Kai
- Polyester batting (Quilters Dream Poly - Request- Quilter Dream Batting) - (optional)
- Polyester thread - (Metrosene - Mettler)
- Self-healing cutting mat - OLFA
- Stiletto and pressing tool - ByAnnie
- Walking Foot
Tips for making a Cuddle® minky fabric soft book
- Use flannel or cotton scraps to give body to the pages without making it stiff or too thick.
- When sewing the center seam use a hump jumper to even it out a little.
- Always start sewing with the foot completely on the fabric.
- Add crinkle material to the outside edge if you want, but not needed.
Video tutorial: How to make a Cuddle® minky fabric soft book
Mark your calendar — as part of Sew Together Tuesday, Teresa will be going LIVE on the Shannon Fabrics Facebook page and YouTube channel at 10 am PDT on April 27 to share her tips on how to make a Cuddle® minky fabric soft book.
If you have any questions about Cuddle® minky plush fabrics or any of our Cuddle® Kits, feel free to contact our friendly, no-pressure customer service team at 866-624-5252.
Ready to start creating with Cuddle® minky fabric? Use our store locator to find a selection of Cuddle® minky fabric online or near you.
Leave a Comment