If we’ve learned anything from sewing with Cuddle® fabric over the years, it’s that a little is great, but more is a whole lot better!
By now you’ve likely watched Teresa’s throw blanket tutorial and downloaded our free throw blanket pattern (if not, see the link below), so this week we’re taking it up a notch by making an even more cozy project.
Affectionately called a Soft & Cozy Cuddle® Sack, this throw-inspired piece is a great go-to for staying warm curled up on the couch (or at your desk), and since it’s essentially an adult-sized pocket, you won’t have any feet or legs sticking out and getting chilled.
Here Teresa shares her tips on how to sew our Soft & Cozy Cuddle® Sack, complete with a FREE downloadable (click here) sewing pattern, and a list of all her recommended notions and sewing tips to boot. She's making it in the "medium" size, but it can be made as big or as small as you'd like.
Let’s get started, and as always, happy sewing!
Fabrics and notions you’ll need to sew a Soft & Cozy Cuddle® Sack
These products can be substituted for whatever you have on hand, but here is what Teresa recommends for the medium-sized Soft & Cozy Cuddle® Sack:
Note: Other sizes and fabric requirements are listed in the pattern.
- 45mm rotary cutter (OLFA) OR art knife (OLFA SAC-1)
- 90/14 Stretch needle (SCHMETZ)
- Flower Head pins (Clover)
- Fabric clips (Wonder Clips by Clover )
- Felt tip marker
- Hand sewing needle
- Micro serrated scissors (Kai or Famore)
- Polyester thread (Metrosene by Mettler)
- Self-Healing cutting mat (OLFA)
- Stiletto (Stiletto and Pressing Tool by ByAnnie)
Shark pattern by our friends at Funky Friends Factory.
Instructions for sewing a Soft & Cozy Cuddle® Sack
- Choose a fun print for the outside and get extra plush (Luxe Cuddle®) for inside.
- Staystitch at turning gap to make it easier to stitch closed.
- For extra strength when making it for kids or for lots of use, sew each seam twice, 1/8” apart.
- Use polyester thread or a thread with some stretch (e.g. Mettler Seraflex) to give it more flexibility.
- Don’t skip out on attaching the bottom seam allowances!
- Check out the pattern for children's and extra-tall sizes!
Video tutorial: How to sew a Soft & Cozy Cuddle® Sack
Mark your calendar — as part of Sew Together Tuesday, Teresa will be going LIVE on the Shannon Fabrics Facebook page and YouTube channel at 10 am PDT on February 2 to share her tips on how to sew a Soft & Cozy Cuddle® Sack.
Can't make it? Check back here at 12 pm pacific after her live video concludes for the embedded on-demand video.
Free downloadable Soft & Cozy Cuddle® Sack pattern
Click the “Download Now!” button below to download and print our free Soft & Cozy Cuddle® Sack sewing pattern (designed by Shannon Fabrics Brand Ambassador Linda White).
If you have any questions about Cuddle® minky plush fabrics or any of our Cuddle® Kits, feel free to contact our friendly, no-pressure customer service team at 866-624-5252.
Ready to start creating with Cuddle® minky fabric? Use our store locator to find a selection of Cuddle® minky fabric online or near you.