The days are shorter, the weather is cooler and it’s finally time to start decorating the house with all the holiday cheer of the season! Besides the usual snow globes, wreaths and bells, stockings are arguably the most iconic Christmas decoration found in homes during the holidays.
See Related: DIY Sewing Projects That Make Great Gifts This Holiday Season
But this year, why buy new stockings or dust off the faded stockings stored in the attic when you can make your own?
This week for Sew Together Tuesday, our National Educator Teresa Coates shares her tips on how to make a stocking out of Cuddle® minky plush fabric! Teresa makes this as easy as possible by using AccuQuilt’s GO! Santa Stocking Die to eliminate the need to print out the pattern, trace it and cut the pieces out by hand.
No matter if you choose the classic reds and whites, or mix it up with fun colors, quilting and applique, making a stocking has never been simpler or more fun.
So grab yourself a cup of cider or peppermint tea, and let’s get to work!
Fabrics and Notions You’ll Need to Sew a Minky Fabric Stocking
These products can be substituted for whatever you have on hand, but here is what Teresa recommends for her stocking sewing tutorial.
- ½ yd. Cuddle® 3 for stocking body
- ¼ yd. Luxe Cuddle® or Cuddle® 3 for cuff
- 1/2 yd. Silky satin solids
- Lightweight fusible interfacing (Pellon SF101) (optional)
- Thin polyester batting (Quilters Dream Poly Request)
- AccuQuilt GO! Santa Stocking die
- 6" ribbon
Teresa used these fabrics for her sample:
- Digital Cuddle® Midnight Deer
- Antlers Cuddle® Navy
- Cuddle® 3 Snow
- Cuddle® 3 Ivory
- Luxe Cuddle® Seal Snow
- Silky Satin Solids
Tips for Sewing a Minky Fabric Stocking (with AccuQuilt Die)
- Cut up to two layers of Cuddle® at a time.
- Lay Cuddle® wrong side against the blade to cut.
- If using Luxe Cuddle®, cut cuffs individually with scissors (rather than the die).
- When using Luxe Cuddle® for the cuff, use one layer and leave a raw edge.
- Fuse interfacing to Cuddle® (optional) with a medium heat iron and a pressing cloth.
- Quilt Cuddle® 3 prior to cutting to add visual interest.
- Add appliques such as the AccuQuilt Gingerbread Cookie die.
Video: How to Sew a Minky Fabric Stocking (AccuQuilt Die)
Mark your calendar — as part of Sew Together Tuesday, Teresa will be going LIVE on the Shannon Fabrics Facebook page at 10 am PDT on December 1 to share her tips on how to sew a stocking in Cuddle® minky fabric.
If you have any questions about Cuddle® minky plush fabrics or any of our Cuddle® Kits, feel free to contact our friendly, no-pressure customer service team at 866-624-5252.
Ready to start creating with Cuddle® minky fabric? Use our store locator to find a selection of Cuddle® minky fabric online or near you.
Leave a Comment