With back to school season just around the corner, this is the perfect time to start making items like this faux fur reading pillow for your high school and college-bound kids. Don’t worry if you don’t sew much — I’m going to show you how beginner friendly Shannon Fabrics products are.
READ MORE: 9 Best Sewing Projects and Uses for Faux Fur Fabric
I've made a super fun faux fur reading pillow and throw sewing project and I'll show you how to make them in this easy tutorial!
Supplies used to make these faux fur reading pillow and throw blanket sewing projects:
- Multi Luxury Shag Fur in Cotton Candy
- Luxury Shag Fur in Hot Pink
- Solid Cuddle® 3 Fabric in Hot Pink
- Fairfield World’s Crafter’s Choice 16”x 38” Pillow
I also used a few notions from Dritz®, specifically their Omnigrid® cutting mat and pins.
*Please note that some of these fabrics might be discontinued, as our amazing team of designers is always updating our fabrics and collections to push the boundaries of fashion, home decor and apparel sewing! Feel free to swap out the suggested fabrics with similar styles and colors.
Tutorial on how to make the faux fur reading pillow sewing project:
- Cut the faux fur fabric into a piece that is 18”x 58”. My trick for cutting faux fur fabric without making a mess is to use a craft knife to cut the back of the fabric. Set the fabric on top of a cutting mat, use a plastic or metal ruler to mark where you want to cut, and use a craft knife to slice the fabric backing. You only want to cut through the backing, not all the way through to the fur. No cut fur mess to clean up at all!
- Fold the fabric in half lengthwise, and pin the edges together.
- Sew two of the sides together. If you’re a pro, use your sewing machine. If you’re a non-sewist like me, grab your needle and thread and work on this project while you’re watching Netflix! The point is, anyone can craft, really!
- Flip the pillow cover inside-out to reveal the gorgeous luxury shag fur. Slide the pillow form inside the case.
- Pin the open edge of the pillow cover together, and sew it closed. The fur fabric is perfect for new crafters because it hides a lot of the stitching mistakes you might make.
To make the reversible faux fur throw blanket sewing project:
- Place the shag fur fabric and the Cuddle® fabric so that the right sides are facing each other. Pin the edges together. This blanket is approximately two yards long.
- Just as we did with the reading pillow, sew three of the sides of the blanket.
- Flip the blanket inside out. Pin the open edge together and sew shut. I used a ladder stitch, but the fur really hides most of the stitches already.
I just love the way the Cotton Candy Shag fur brings the room together. The colors make me think of a candy store. The throw blanket is perfect for lounging on the floor, on the couch, or anywhere. Use the Cuddle® side to keep warm on cold nights, and the furry side as a makeshift rug when sitting on the ground. Take a break from all night study sessions by crashing with this furry reading pillow and blanket, after you wrestle it away from your friends!
You can find Shannon Fabrics at local quilt shops and fabric stores, and online. View our store locator to find online shops and shops near you.
Stay up-to-date on what's happening! Connect with us on social media: Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram.
Leave a Comment