I'm excited to be a guest here at Shannon Fabrics today. I'm Polly and my home on the Internet is at Pieces by Polly. I love any kind of sewing and quilting, and I was so excited that Shannon Fabrics let me try out some for their wonderfully soft cuddle suede to make this fun Harry Potter inspired skirt.
Our family has been die-hard Harry Potter fans for years, with my 10-year-old daughter being the most enthusiastic. I made her a Hermione Skirt a couple years ago, but since she's growing taller by leaps and bounds it was time for a new one.
Besides needing to be a dark grey skirt reminiscent of the Hogwarts uniforms, I always think it's fun to add some fun twist to it. And since I was using a circle skirt design, I wanted it to be a bit like a poodle skirt...only Harry Potter style. So instead of a poodle, we've got a magic wand and instead of the leash wrapping around the skirt, we've got a sparkly magic spell.
Being a circle skirt, it is amazing for twirling in...and what girl doesn't love to twirl? One of the best things about using Cuddle Suede for this is that it comes 60 inches wide. That means that I could make a skirt for an older child from one width of fabric.
I'm sharing this skirt as part of the Happy Harry Potter Celebration that's put on my Marissa at Raegun Ramblings every year, so besides today's project, you'll want to check out all of the fun Harry Potter Themed DIY goodness.
- 1 1/2 - 2 yards Cuddle Suede in Charcoal depending on size of skirt. Refer to instructions below.
- 1/8 yard or scraps of Cuddle Suede in Black
- 3 - 4 yards 1/8" Gold Braid from Decorative Trimmings
- 1 Package paper-backed fusible web, such as Heat'n Bond Lite.
- 3" Black Elastic - Enough to go around recipient's waist PLUS 1 inch.
- Black Thread
- Gold (Metallic or regular...I used regular) thread
- Lots of pins
- Black Thread
- Sewing Machine
- Scissors or Rotary Mat and Cutter
- Serger (optional - You can totally do this with just a sewing machine.)
- Large scrap paper or newsprint for making your circle pattern.
- 1 Printed copy of the wand template
- The September Bookish Box from Appraising Pages (includes a shirt by Appraising Pages Shop and 3-5 feminine home, beauty, and fashion items)
- I Solemnly Swear That I Am Up To No Good Necklace from Bookish Sphere
- Marauders Map Stacking Mugs from A Bird in the Hand Crafts
- 25$ Shop Credit (for in stock items) from Tiny Book Town (super cute bookish jewelry pictured Narnia book necklace and Mystery and Adventure necklace)
- Deathly Hallows Necklace, Personalized Hogwarts Acceptance Letter, and Golden Snitch Ornament (any house colors) from Pieces by Polly
- 40$ Shop Credit from Rae Gun (pictured above House Elf Apron, Hogwart's House Tie Necklace, Make Love Not Horcruxes Bag but anything in the shop is available)
- 20$ Amazon.com gift card!
- The August Owl Crate from Owl Crate (this will include an upbeat mystery novel, as well as a bunch of items paying homage to literature's most-loved detectives)
You can also find Polly at...