Cotton has long been a favorite for quilters who enjoy paper piecing, but with a few tips you can use Cuddle® and Luxe Cuddle® not just on quilt backs, but with paper piecing blocks, too! Cuddle® adds a pop of vibrant color and unique texture that can elevate even the most simple quilt into something extraordinary.
See Related: Tuscan Cuddle® Quilt Tutorial (& Free Pattern)
This week our National Educator visits KC Maker Studio and Fabrics on her Sew Together Tuesday "On the Road" tour where she shares her tips on how to use Cuddle® with foundation paper piecing patterns.
Fabrics, Notions and Supplies for Foundation Paper Piecing
These products and fabrics can be substituted for whatever you have on hand, but here is what Teresa recommends when using Cuddle® with foundation paper piecing patterns:
- 45mm rotary cutter - OLFA or blade (SAC-1 - OLFA)
- 90/14 stretch machine needle – SCHMETZ
- Basting spray (ODIF 505)
- Batting, optional
- Fabric clips - (Wonder Clips - Clover)
- Felt tip marker
- Flower head pins – Clover
- Fusible interfacing (Pellon SF101 Shape-Flex)
- Micro serrated scissors – Famore
- Polyester thread - (Metrosene - Mettler)
- Self-healing cutting mat - OLFA
- Stiletto and pressing tool - ByAnnie
- Walking Foot
Recommended Foundation Paper Piecing Quilt Patterns for Cuddle®
- Wolf Abstractions by Violet Craft
- Elephant Abstractions by Violet Craft
- Bloomin’ Too by Hunter’s Design Studio
- Mortimer by Hunter’s Design Studio
Tips for Using Cuddle® with Foundation Paper Piecing Patterns
- Trace sewing lines on Pellon SF101 and add 1/2” seam allowance
- Be sure to mark nap direction and piece number when tracing
- Mix and match textures
- Use quilting cotton for the background to make the image more prominent
- Backstitch all seams
Video: How to Use Cuddle® with Foundation Paper Piecing Patterns
Mark your calendar — as part of Sew Together Tuesday, Teresa will be going LIVE on the Shannon Fabrics Facebook page and YouTube channel at 10 am PDT on August 31 to share her tips on how to use Cuddle® with foundation paper piecing patterns.
Can't make it? Check back here after her live video concludes for the embedded on-demand video.
If you have any questions about Cuddle® minky plush fabrics or any of our Cuddle® Kits, feel free to contact our friendly, no-pressure customer service team at 866-624-5252.
Ready to start creating with Cuddle® minky fabric? Use our store locator to find a selection of Cuddle® minky fabric online or near you.
Leave a Comment