Call them what you’d like — stuffed animals, stuffies, plushies — but making these lovable little friends out of Cuddle® minky plush fabric is, in our opinion, the only way to go!
Using Cuddle® or Luxe Cuddle® adds a layer of irresistible coziness that transforms even the simplest stuffed animal into one you and your loved ones can’t put down. With lots of colors, textures and pile heights to choose from, you can customize your project to look and feel exactly how you envision it!
See Related: How to Sew an Elephant Stuffed Animal
This week for Sew Together Tuesday, Teresa heads over to Backdoor Quilt Shoppe to talk all things stuffed animals, from how to prepare for the sewing process, how make sewing with Cuddle® easy and how to finish a stuffed animal. She’s even listed some of her favorite pattern companies, as well as created a free downloadable tip sheet for sewing stuffed animals with Cuddle®!
Image credit: Hannah Hedgehog, Mitch the Monkey, Mickey Moose, Plattie Platypus by Funky Friends Factory. Skinny Bunny by Carol's Zoo.
Preparing for Making Stuffed Animals Out of Cuddle® Minky Plush Fabric
- Enlarge pattern pieces individually, if needed.
- Trace around each pattern piece using a felt tip maker and transfer all markings.
- Write name of each piece on the backing.
- Cut them out with small micro-serrated scissors or a craft knife.
- Toss in the dryer with a damp washcloth to remove excess Cuddle® dust.
Sewing Stuffed Animals Out of Cuddle® Minky Plush Fabric
- Pin perpendicular to edge using the tip of long, flower head pins to keep edges together.
- Insert pins alternating from front to back to reduce distortion.
- Pin every 1/2" or less on curves. Every 1" otherwise.
- Sew with a 2.5mm stitch allowance.
- Check every seam to make sure it is caught. Sew twice on seams that will get a lot of stress, if desired.
Finishing Stuffed Animals Out of Cuddle® Minky Plush Fabric
- Use Silky Poly-Fil polyester filling for a soft, squeezable animal.
- For stability, insert chenille stems or foam rollers into necks and/or legs while stuffing. Pool noodles can be cut down to size to work, too.
- For a firmer animal, use Poly-Fil polyester filling and fill to capacity.
- Use safety eyes for older children or embroidery for babies and toddlers.
- Make them sit up better by adding a "pocket" of poly pellets. Use the the appropriate pattern piece to make a cotton sandwich. Leave a 1" hole and fill with Poly Pellets before inserting into animal. Sew in place.
- Add false eyelashes to safety eyes to make your animal extra feminine.
- Hand sew opening closed with buttonhole thread or sew it twice with polyester thread to secure it well.
Recommended Notions for Making Stuffed Animals Out of Cuddle® Minky Plush Fabric
These products can be substituted for whatever works best for you, but here is what Teresa recommends for making a stuffed animal out of Cuddle®:
- Silky Poly-Fil polyester filling by Fairfield World
- Poly Pellets by Fairfield World
- Clover Flower Head Pins
- ByAnnie Stiletto & Pressing Tool
Recommended Patterns for Making Stuffed Animals Out of Cuddle® Minky Plush Fabric
- Funky Friends Factory
- The Rustic Horseshoe
- Melly & Me
- Abby Glassenberg
- Sew Eleven Patterns
- Retro Mama
- Stuffed Animal & Softies Sewing Patterns That Are Perfect for Cuddle® Minky Fabrics (Part 1)
- Stuffed Animal & Softies Sewing Patterns That Are Perfect for Cuddle® Minky Fabrics (Part 2)
Video: How to Make Stuffed Animals Out of Cuddle® Minky Plush Fabric
Mark your calendar — as part of Sew Together Tuesday, Teresa will be going LIVE on the Shannon Fabrics Facebook page and YouTube channel at 10 am PDT on September 14 to share her tips on how to make stuffed animals out of Cuddle®.
Can't make it? Check back here after her live video concludes for the embedded on-demand video.
Free Download: Stuffed Animal Sewing Tips for Cuddle®
Click here or the “Download Now!” button below to download and print Teresa’s free stuffed animal tip sheet.
Ready to start creating with Cuddle® minky fabric? Use our store locator to find a selection of Cuddle® minky fabric online or near you.