With summer just days away, now’s the perfect time to break out your stash of breathable, lighter weight fabrics!
Of course here at Shannon Fabrics we’re fans of minky plush fabric all year long, but as the days get longer and temperatures start to warm up, our Embrace® double gauze fabric does the trick. It’s made with 100% cotton, is machine washable/dryable and comes in not just a wide range of solid colors, but super cute prints, too.
This week, as part of our Sew Together Tuesday educational video series, our National Educator Teresa Coates tackles our popular “ruffled edge blanket” — a double gauze blanket that finishes at 48” by 48” and is perfect for a lightweight throw for cool summer evenings, or as an adorable take-anywhere packable baby blanket.
Here she's put together a step-by-step tutorial that includes everything from the fabric and notions required to sew a ruffled edge blanket, to her insider tips on how to sew the blanket with as few hiccups as possible.
Fabrics and notions you’ll need to sew a ruffled edge blanket
- Top: 1 1/3 yards Embrace® double gauze
- Middle: 1 1/3 yards Embrace® double gauze
- Back & Ruffle: 2 1/3 yards Embrace® double gauze
- Ruffled Edge Blanket pattern
- 70/10 Universal needle
- Coordinating thread
- Basic sewing supplies
Things to keep in mind when sewing a ruffled edge blanket
- Make sure you cut along the grid lines in the fabric to keep it on grain
- Use a serger or a zig zag stitch over seam allowance to keep it from raveling
- Add a ruffle or not — it's your choice
- The tips in the "How to Sew Binding With Cuddle® Minky Fabric" video above work great when sewing binding with Embrace® double gauze, too
- Using a layer of white between two prints and/or colors will keep the colors bright and add heft to the blanket
- Embrace® double gauze fabric is machine washable and dryable
- Download our printable Tips & Tricks sheet on Sewing with Embrace® Double Gauze here
How to sew a ruffled edge blanket
Ready to start sewing? Use our store locator to find a selection of Cuddle® minky fabric online or near you.