If you or a loved one has a new family member, you know how important it is to have several burp cloths on hand. They're one of the most useful things in the diaper bag — perfect for protecting an outfit, wiping up a mess or discreetly nursing in public.
While it's convenient to pick up a couple at the local store, sewing a burp cloth at home is easier (and quicker) than you'd think. They're easily customizable to match any diaper bag or room decor, and they make great, long-lasting gifts that can be passed down from sibling to sibling.
See Related: How to Sew an Adorable Penguin Play Mat (My Pal "Pat the Penguin" Cuddle® Kit)
Here, as part of our Sew Together Tuesday series, our National Educator Teresa Coates has put together her tips on how to sew our popular terry "burp cloth" in both Cuddle® minky plush fabric and Embrace® double gauze fabric.
We've included a list of the fabrics and notions you'll need, her video burp cloth tutorial, as well as our free downloadable burp cloth sewing pattern!
Fabric and notions you'll need to sew a burp cloth
These products can be substituted for whatever you have on hand, but here is what Teresa recommends for her burp cloth tutorial*:
- 1/2 yard of Cuddle® minky plush fabric or Embrace® double gauze; or a 12”x17” piece of each (in the video we used Spotosaurus Embrace® Cobalt and Rosie Cuddle® Mallard)
- 1/2 yard or a 12”x17” piece of terry cloth
- Rotary cutter, ruler, and cutting mat
- Sewing machine with a walking or even-feed foot
- Thread to match
- 90/14 stretch sewing machine needle
- Felt-tip marker
- Basic sewing supplies
- Wonder clips
- Small scissors
How to sew a burp cloth
Keep these tips in mind when sewing a burp cloth
- Trace pattern onto 11" x 17" paper to create full pattern.
- Trace around pattern onto wrong side of Cuddle® or Embrace®.
- Pin Cuddle® or Embrace® piece to terry cloth, right sides together. Pin well and stitch along traced line. Leave a 3" opening for turning.
- Clip curves and turn right side out. Use a point turner to smooth seam on the inside.
- Tuck in raw edges at opening and pin. Top stitch opening closed then continue top stitching around entire burp cloth.
Free downloadable burp cloth sewing pattern
Click here to download our updated free burp cloth sewing pattern! To see our entire library of free patterns, click here to head over to our "Free Patterns" page.
If you have any questions about Embrace® double gauze, Cuddle® minky plush fabrics or any of our Cuddle® Kits, feel free to contact our friendly, no-pressure customer service team at 866-624-5252.
Ready to start sewing a burp cloth (or two)? Use our store locator to find a selection of Cuddle® minky fabric online or near you.
Leave a Comment