Sure, the in-depth projects that take several days to complete will always be a favorite amongst sewists, but sometimes it’s important to mix things up and just keep things simple.
So this week, as part of our Sew Together Tuesday educational video series, Teresa Coates tackles the scrap buster of all scrap busters — how to sew a Cuddle® cube.
Also called a soft block or a baby block, this sewing project is infinitely customizable with whatever minky fabric scraps you have laying around your sewing room. It’s a great project for beginners, and when sewn with Cuddle® minky fabric, you’ll have a super soft plushy your little ones won’t be able to keep their hands off of!
Here we've included a list of the fabrics and notions you'll need, her soft block tutorial, as well as our free downloadable soft block sewing pattern!
Fabrics and notions you’ll need to sew a Cuddle® cube (soft block)
- Six (6) 6” x 6” squares of Cuddle® or Luxe Cuddle® (perfect for scraps!)
- Six (6) 6” x 6” squares of fusible interfacing
- 90/14 stretch needle
- Polyester thread
- Polyester fiberfill
Keep these tips in mind when sewing a Cuddle® cube (soft block)
- If you are using the same fabric for each side, you can fuse the interfacing to the back of the fabric before cutting out squares.
- When embroidering, make sure to use a tear-away or cut-away stabilizer and water-soluble topper for best results. Cut squares after embroidering.
- When adding applique, fuse interfacing to wrong side before appliquéing to give it stability. Cut squares after applique.
- You can make your Cuddle® cubes bigger or smaller, just make sure to cut each side the same size.
- Mix and match textures—combine Cuddle® Dimple with Embossed Cuddle® and/or Luxe Cuddle® varieties.
- Add a jingle bell inside for some extra fun.
Video tutorial: How to sew a Cuddle® cube (soft block)
Mark your calendars — as part of Sew Together Tuesday, Teresa will be going LIVE on the Shannon Fabrics Facebook page at 10 am PDT on August 25 to share her tips on how to sew a minky fabric soft block.
Can't make it? Check back here at 12 pm pacific after her live video concludes for the embedded on-demand video.
Free Cuddle® cube sewing pattern (soft block sewing pattern)
Our free Cuddle® cube sewing pattern will be available to download on August 25! Check back before Teresa goes live and download it for yourself!
Ready to start start sewing? Use our store locator to find a selection of our fabrics online or near you.