We know how irresistible minky fabric is for humans, but if you've ever left a minky throw blanket laying around, you know how much pets love it, too!
We're all for sharing your throw, but this week we've put together a tutorial on how to sew a Cuddle® minky fabric pet bed so you don't have to anymore.
See Related: 9 Best Sewing Projects and Uses for Minky Fabric
We started with the “Puppy Pillow” pattern by Sallie Tomato (click here to download), and of course our National Educator Teresa Coates put her own unique spin on the design. These are great for leaving around the house for your furry friends to enjoy, or leave inside their kennel for extra security and warmth.
These “Puppy Pillow” pet beds can be created with any of our Luxe Cuddle® or Cuddle® minky plush fabrics — from solids to match your home décor, to dog-themed prints specifically for your four-legged pal.
Thanks to our model, Puppy Dog Pete, stuffed animal pattern by Funky Friends Factory.
Fabrics and notions you'll need to make a Cuddle® minky fabric pet bed
These fabrics and notions can be substituted for whatever you have on hand, but here is what Teresa recommends for her Cuddle® minky fabric pet bed tutorial:
- 1 yd. What Up, Dawg Digital Cuddle® Beige
- 1 yd Luxe Cuddle® Galaxy Denim Night
- Water-repellant fabric - Fairfield
- 18" Zipper (optional)
- 45mm rotary cutter - OLFA or blade (SAC-1 - OLFA)
- 90/14 stretch machine needle - SCHMETZ
- Fabric clips - (Wonder Clips - Clover)
- Flower head pins - Clover
- Hand sewing needle
- Micro serrated scissors - Famore or Kai
- Polyester thread - (Metrosene - Mettler)
- Puppy Pillow pattern instant download - Sallie Tomato
- Self-healing cutting mat - OLFA
- Stiletto and pressing tool - ByAnnie
- Slipper Gripper (optional)
- Walking Foot
Pattern: Puppy Dog Pete by Funky Friends Factory
Tips for making a Cuddle® minky fabric pet bed
- Use a dense stuffing. Teresa used a 24 oz bag of POLY-FIL.
- Make a cotton pillow form first if you want to make it washable.
- Add a zipper to the bottom if you want to make it removable.
- Add Slipper Gripper to the bottom to make it less likely to slip on wood or tile floors.
Video tutorial: How to make a Cuddle® minky fabric pet bed
Mark your calendar — as part of Sew Together Tuesday, Teresa will be going LIVE on the Shannon Fabrics Facebook page and YouTube channel at 10 am PDT on April 13 to share her tips on how to make a pet bed out of Cuddle® minky fabric.
If you have any questions about Cuddle® minky plush fabrics or any of our Cuddle® Kits, feel free to contact our friendly, no-pressure customer service team at 866-624-5252.
Ready to start creating with Cuddle® minky fabric? Use our store locator to find a selection of Cuddle® minky fabric online or near you.